Sunday, May 19, 2013

There are exceptions to breaking traditions right?


This weekend the weather could not have been better to invite a few friends over and sit around the fire. This year we actually had our first bonfire a little early. Normally we don't have a bonfire until Memorial Day weekend. Memorial day is always special because we have all of our closest friends and family come and camp in the back yard. I will admit, no one is roughing it because everyone drives their fifth wheel in, but hey! it still counts right? It is a weekend celebrating many things, from birthday's to the school year almost being over (both of my parents and most of their friends work in education). The pool will have been open for a few weeks and it will finally be warm enough where you can relax in it all day. You only get out of the pool for two things. The first is of course to go the bathroom, and the second is the food. You almost don't want to eat breakfast and lunch, because you want to save as much room for steaks, brats, burgers, or whatever you may choose at dinner time so long as it is cooked on the grill. As the night falls and you are tired from swimming and running around all day, everyone pulls up their camp chairs and the camp fire stories begin. The conversation ranges from the parents telling stories about the "glory days" back in college to everyone trying to plan the next big summer camping extravaganza.

A bonfire at the Moore household symbolizes the start of summer, and this year I just could not hold my temptations to have one early. Even if I did break a small tradition, I'm still looking forward to the many warm beautiful summer nights sitting around a campfire with my closest friends and family.

2 comments:

  1. Totally understand what you mean about only getting out of the pool for 2 reason. In high school, my best friend and I used to just sleep in our bathing suits so we could wake up and get right into my pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bonfires and "gory days" stories!! My family also spent 3 nights camping in Cape Cod last weekend and 1 night in the Smokey Mountains on our drive down to Florida. Just can't beat camping, especially with family!

    ReplyDelete